People sometimes ask, “What do Christian Scientists do to help others in times of trouble?” They may have the idea that, since we are a “prayerful” people, we don’t take practical action to demonstrate our love and support. In fact, Mary Baker Eddy, the Founder of Christian Science, gave us one example of Christian compassion when she donated money for shoes for all the poor children in her town. Today our world headquarters, The Mother Church in Boston, Massachusetts, maintains a disaster relief fund as many other denominations do. The Christian Science Monitor is publishing articles of practical ideas for rebuilding. Most importantly, there is always the first response of individual prayer,–that instinctive plea, “Father, help us.” Dear Joplin, here are eight simple prayers from your friends in North Carolina. We are holding you in our hearts daily.
1. God will guide you every step of the way so you come out of this furnace fire without even the smell of smoke.
2. God, divine Love, has the whole world in His hands and the wind in His fists. No one is ever outside the shelter of His tender care, steadfast love, and unfailing goodness.
3. The knowledge of God’s everpresent love, guidance and peace is controlling all. Rest in his omnipresence.
4. Ages have seen His might,
Father we call His name;
Nights of our mourning and sorrow end,
Light blesses opened eyes,
Joys like the dawns arise
As we see Him our God and Friend.
Russ, Wilmington (From “Crusader’s Hymn” by William P. McKenzie)
5.”Be still, and know that I am God…” (Ps 46:10) is hard to fathom in difficult circumstances. But when there are few material answers, it can be the comfort we need to go on. Godspeed.
6. Father-Mother God, we know that when Christ Jesus commanded one form of natural condition “Peace, be still,” he meant that command for all natural conditions for all mankind for all time. As your loving children, we claim that eternal stillness for ourselves and our neighbors here and now.
7. Trust in the Lord from whence cometh your help. God is with you.
8. Only the power of omnipotent Mind reigns, for God holds the wind “in His fists.” … The Christ, Truth, alone declares to the storm, “Peace, be still.” Each of God’s ideas is embraced in this love and protection.
Joplin friends, while you begin your rebuilding we pray you will some day soon see yourselves as untouched and lovely as these Falls. All the best…